Saturday, 10 September 2011

Oh What a Lovely War

I've just been scouring the local theatre brochures looking for productions to take the juniors to and I came across 'Oh What a Lovely War' in Stirling on the first Saturday of half term.

Unfortunately I'll be away on the 4th and 5th form battlefields trip but if you're staying in the Perth area over half term then I'd really consider going to see it. When I was doing my 'A' level my teacher used to rave about the play but there was no current production at the time and she tried really hard to pick up the video but it simply wasn't available. Since then the film from the 1960s has been rereleased on DVD and is readily available very cheaply but nothing quite beats a live production.

I've never seen it, for the reasons mentioned above, and so really wish that I could go. From what I've read about it and what Ms Barron told me and my classmates all those years ago it's more like a musical in style and so shouldn't be nearly so heavy as you found 'Journey's End'. (Incidentally is someone going to write about 'Journey's End'? It's feeling lonely on the blog with only me and Michael contributing!)

You can read more about the production here:

http://macrobert.org/ohwhatalovelywar.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment