Monday, 30 January 2012

War Horse

Mr Watson thinks that I am obsessed by the First World War. This is because he hasn't been into my Fourth Form classes recently. You see there's another aspect of literature that I am really into, I really enjoy looking at how things are represented from text to screen or text to stage. Dissertation aside, the best essays that I wrote when I was at university were those comparing novel and film. My favourite was probably the representation of Norman Bates as gothic other in 'Psycho' (his characteristics are seriously different in the novel and film) but I also did an awesome essay on Tess as individual in the Hardy novel and the Polanski film. Anyway, you'd think all my Christmases had come at once with going to see 'War Horse' at the cinema this weekend and 'Birdsong' on the TV. However, 'Birdsong' is another blog for another day so I'll just concentrate on 'War Horse'.

I was just left feeling a little let down by it. This was probably not helped by the fact that I was sitting next to a "commentator". Leaving aside the fact that her and her husband mayaswell have saved their money and only paid for one seat rather than two since only the tiniest sliver of her bottom must have been on her own seat, they annoyed me immensely with the constant commentary on the film. Seriously, just shut up and enjoy it. Although one part did amuse/exasperate me. When Albert joins the Devon regiment, she announced to the theatre, pleased as punch with herself, "Devon, that's in Yorkshire you know".

Anyway, the war bits were actually not done too badly. I especially enjoyed the bit where the Geordies in the trench said "that's wor horse" but perhaps you have to be from Newcastle to get the joke!

But it was the ploughing that I felt properly let it down. It is done so beautifully in the stage version and I just think if it ain't broke why fix it? Now I have to admit that I haven't read the novel (it's out of the college library at the moment) but I just felt that it was so much better as a piece of art on the stage. OK so there was that nice moment where Rose's knitting turns into the furrows of the land but apart from that it's all just a bit rushed really. And why has the brother and cousin suddenly become a land lord and snooty son?

Anyway, I'll leave it there because I'd like to give other people the chance to comment. At the moment I feel the blog is just me spouting my opinions so if you've seen it add your thoughts.


1 comment: